Re: Tracking the latest changes

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Tracking the latest changes
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 15:17:43 -0500

On 21-Feb-2009, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso schrieb:
| > When I want to see what the development sources are up to, I run "hg
| > pull -u" and then "make" to recompile. This often fails because
| > something changed in the build system, so I often need to reconfigure
| > and build everything from scratch.
| >
| > Is there a better way to do this? Does everyone recompile Octave all
| > the time? What's your workflow like?
|
| ;) I would say I recompile 3..4 times a week going through the whole process
| from 'make maintainer-clean', 'hg update -v', ..., './autogen.sh' until 'make
| test'. I wrote a shell script for doing all these things and I put all the
| output of the individual commands into a logfile, eg. 'make >> logfile.txt'.
The
| final command of my shell script is 'shutdown -h now', ie. I start the build
| process in the evening before I say good night and check if something has
gone
| wrong the next time I log in...

I rebuild almost constantly when I'm working on Octave, but rarely
ever use any of the "make clean" targets.

If a Makefile.in file changes, I run config.status to regenerate one
or more of the files (note that there is a separate configure script
for the scripts subdirectory tree).

If configure.in changes, I rerun autogen.sh and configure.

Sometimes, a dependency file will contain filenames that are no longer
valid, and the build process will fail with a mysterious message from
make.  The solution then is to just remove the .d files in the
directory where make stopped and the run make again.

Sure, some of these things could be automated, and there were some
recent changes proposed to allow make to update the configure scripts
and Makefiles, but I don't think it has been applied yet (I'll try to
remember to take a look at it).