Re: fsolve test failure

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fsolve test failure
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:27:26 -0500

On 29-Jan-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:09 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > On 29-Jan-2009, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
| >
| > | So, you're voting for choice 2? Make just optimget queries to be case
| > | insensitive? I'm a little confused now.
| >
| > No, they both need to be case insensitive.  So all of
| >
| >  optimset ('tolx', ...)
| >  optimset ('TolX', ...)
| >  optimset ('TOLX', ...)
| >
| > should work and set the same internal variable.  Similarly, all of
| >
| >  optimget (opts, 'tolx')
| >  optimget (opts, 'TolX')
| >  optimget (opts, 'TOLX')
| >
| > should work and retrieve the same internal variable value.  But a call
| > like
| >
| >  x = optimset ();
| >

| This call returns an empty structure. What do you mean?

Don't empty values specify defaults?  Does anything prevent me from
using

  x = optimset ();
  x.TolX = ...;
  x.SomeOtherOption = ...;

  fsolve (..., x);

to set the options fields by doing direct structure field assignment
instead of using optimset to set the options?

| If you want to allow this, then I see no other way than make optimget
| do a case-insensitive lookup of the fields. In that case, it is
| irrelevant what case will optimset use.

I don't understand what you mean by "it is irrelevant what case ...".
Doesn't optimset also have to work in a case insensitive way?  But
when it returns the struct containing the optoins, the fields must
have the TolX style names, right?  They can't be spelled any other
way, or code like I posted will fail.

I don't think I can explain any more clearly how I think thse
functions must work, so I guess you should just commit a patch and
I'll see if it works the way I expect.