Re: Octave & Fortran continued

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave & Fortran continued
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:48:22 +0000

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Benjamin Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Official MinGW gcc is not buggy per-se, but I found 2 problems that are
>> easy to fix:
>> 1) some headers are missing in the g++ archive, but they are contained
>> in the full .7z archive
>
> Yes, this was the bugginess I referred to.

Installing the full archive works fine.

>> 2) libstdc++ is compiled with concept-checks enabled, but some packages
>> are not concept-checks compliant (like GiNaC); this can be easily worked
>> around by disabling concept-checks in c++config.h
>
> Interesting. I did not know this. How does the non-compliance manifest?

GiNaC does not compile. In practice, the compiler tries to instantiate
a std::vector<T>::iterator while T is still only foward-defined, and fails.

>> [Note: I also got some problems in making old libtool work with that
>> version of gcc, such that I had to re-libtoolize a few packages; maybe
>> tdm-gcc works better in that area...]
>
> Hmm, which problems were these? I only encountered one with newer libtool as
> used in fftw3 versino 3.2 where linker-options are not correctly recognized.

To generate shared libraries, the old libtool script does various complex
steps involving dlltool. The new libtool script simply uses
"g++ -shared -Wl,--export-all-symbols..." and it works fine. IIRC, the step
that failed was the dlltool-step: it tries to export some standard DLL symbol
(I don't remember which one, but something like DllRegisterServer or so;
one of those standard symbols in DLL)

>> Benjamin, are you OK to merge our work? If yes, are you OK that I
>> make an initial proposal for build scripts and we start from there?
>
> Yes and Yes. Go ahead and I'll put my 2 cents in when appropriate :)

One thing that we did differently is about library naming convention.
I'm now naming all libraries as libxxx-yyy.dll: where xxx is the module
name, and yyy is the module version (as generated by libtool). AFAIK,
you don't use the lib prefix.

Michael.