Re: ChangeLogs

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: ChangeLogs
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 07:19:09 -0500

On  6-Jan-2009, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| > Maybe, but that's way more complicated. Moreover, what if the patch is
| > transplanted
| > later to another repo? Should the date of the ChangeLog entries be updated?
| > Much more work.

If you are cloning an archive, then I don't think the dates should
change.  But if you are transplanting some changes from one branch to
another, then I think it might be useful for the dates to change.  I
think it depends on the purpose.

| I'd have to think about that one.  But the advantage of organizing
| by date patched is that when one knows roughly when something
| stopped working s/he can quickly surmise what may have changed to
| cause the problem.

Yes, that's a good reason for the ChangeLog entries to have the date
when the patch was applied.

I think we avoid these issues if we do away with hand-edited ChangeLog
files and simply generate them from the Mercurial archive when we make
releases.