Re: eigs and ARPACK

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: eigs and ARPACK
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 15:05:29 -0500

On Jan 3, 2009, at 2:39 PM, Thomas Treichl <address@hidden> wrote:

David Bateman schrieb:
Thomas Treichl wrote:

That's it right now, I hope I could give some feedback...

Best regards,

 Thomas

Thomas thanks for the report, yes it did help even if I'm late in replying. I hope to have a patch soon, if I can figure out my linking issue.

Well, I'm even more slow ;) The ARPACK beast made some problems on my Mac but finally I found out that all the problems disappear if I just use g95 to create libarpack.dylib (instead of f2c). The usage of g95 for libarpack.dylib now makes me thinking about some more other things...

At the moment I still have the problem that linking of liboctave.dylib fails because of undefined symbols:

 ld: Undefined symbols:
 _dnaupd_
 _dneupd_
 _dsaupd_
 _dseupd_
 _znaupd_
 _zneupd_
 /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool:
   internal link edit command failed

that's why I added "$(ARPACK_LIBS)" to "LINK_DEPS" of "Makefile.in" in the directory of liboctave. I cheated, and also compiled the latest Octave sources on my virtual Debian GNU/Linux box. That system doesn't need to know anything about $(ARPACK_LIBS) for liboctave.so but just compiles fine without that information - can you help me to understand where GNU/Linux gets it's information about these functions from? Is my hack the right thing that should be done or am I missing something?

Best regards,

 Thomas

Any chance you tried gfortran?

Ben