Re: [changeset] ~/.octaverc overwrites OCTAVE_PATH!!

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: [changeset] ~/.octaverc overwrites OCTAVE_PATH!!
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:28:21 -0500

On Dec 23, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
<snip>

This changeset is intended to avoid having the path statement in octaverc (generated by savepath.m) over-write the paths originating from the environment and/or from the command line, the next time octave is run.

This is done by

(1) Having savepath.m place an addpath(...) rather than path(...) statement in octaverc.

(2) Removing the command-line & environment paths from the working path prior to writing the addpath statement to octaverc. In the event that pathdef() is empty, only the path from the environment is removed from the working path (which is assumed to be generated via the procedure used by run-octave)

(3) As knowledge of the command_line_path was needed by savepath.m, load-path.cc and load-path.h were modified to add the new function commandlinepath().

It may also be desired to remove the path associated with pathdef() from the working path prior to writing the addpath statement to octaverc.

By doing so only the portion added by the user should remain. This would also make upgrading from one version of octave to another more convenient (on my Mac the path to the core functions includes the version number). This would be my personal preference.

However, this will make it much more likely that the ordering of the path will not be preserved for subsequent executions of octave. Meaning that the user specified portions would either be added at the beginning or the end, but would not show up both ways.

As that may be a relatively significant compatibility issue, the path associated with pathdef() is still saved to octaverc.

My local octave package I had been using to install a working copy of octave build from mercurial broke rather recently. I've not yet been able to resolve the problem. Thus, I'm presently running a fresh build with these changes via run-octave.

 Ben