Re: porting arapck code to octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: porting arapck code to octave
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:15:21 -0500

On 20-Dec-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| I can try with gfortran, but no sooner than after new year's eve.
| In any case, if we include ARPACK, my suggestion is to work on things
| a bit to investigate and remove the dependency on LAPACK v2, because
| it is, IMHO, almost bound to cause trouble if ARPACK is included
| within libcruft. Of course I'm up for the job, otherwise such a
| suggestion would be pretty moot.
| I'm not sure whether ARPACK is maintained anymore (yes, I know there
| has been a license change recently, but maybe it was just because the
| authors have no plans for further development).

Are we going to include arpack sources in Octave?  I'd prefer to leave
it as an external dependency unless there is some good reason to do
otherwise.

| Why it doesn't work for you is a good question. Maybe there's a buffer
| overrun that in my case doesn't do any damage by chance? (Just a wild
| guess).

Both programs seem to work correctly for me.  I also thought it might
be a buffer overrun that was only showing up on some systems (32- vs
64-bit pointers, for example) so I tried it on 32- and 64-bit sytems
and it worked on both.  I also tried running it with valgrind and
there were no complaints for the call to dssimp.  I'm using Octave
3.0.1 (64-bit system) and Octave 3.0.0 (32-bit system) on a Debian
system with arpack from the Debian package.