Re: Octave & Fortran continued

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave & Fortran continued
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:54:12 +0000

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> further to the recent discussion about Octave's Fortran compiler
>> support, here's an important (IMHO) update:
>> I've just noticed that the unbelievable thing actually happened and
>> LAPACK moved (apart from a number of improvements etc) to Fortran 90,
>> so F90 compiler is officially required to build LAPACK 3.2. Since
>> Octave probably really wants to keep up with LAPACK as it relies
>> fundamentally on it, we should IMHO think about ways to overcome the
>> limitations of the MSVC/Windows platform that keep Octave stuck with
>> the subset of Fortran that f2c supports.
>> Hmm, another clear signal that Fortran is not dead.
>>
>> So, is it really impossible to use gfortran or g95 on Windows together
>> with MSVC?
>
> Definitely no idea...
> I'll have to give it a try.

Just for the record, mixing code gfortran and MSVC is a tough beast
and up to now I didn't succeed. Doing the same with g77 was easier
as MSVC could link in g77-compiled objects by also linking to libf2c
(compiled with MSVC). This provided the needed runtime functions
required by g77-compiled code.

Given all these problems, I decided to give MinGW a try, using the
latest version based on gcc-4.3.0. But recompiling all deps takes
time, given the only 30min of free time I have in the evening...

Michael.