Re: Lets move discussions about OctaveDE to the Sourceforge forums for O

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Lets move discussions about OctaveDE to the Sourceforge forums for OctaveDE
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:24:23 -0500

On Dec 6, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

tor, 04 12 2008 kl. 23:41 -0500, skrev John Swensen:
I think that the Octave mailing lists should be used for Octave
proper.  Since OctaveDE has a sourceforge page, we should use the
forums there to discuss topics concerning OctaveDE.  I may post
periodic updates to help-octave and octave-maintainers, but it will
most likely just be concerning releases. I will answer questions that
come in on the Octave mailing lists, but I think future questions
related specifically to OctaveDE should be directed to the OctaveDE
forums (unless the moderators of help-octave and octave-maintainers
disagree for some reason).

https://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=176034

Personally, I'd prefer it if the discussion could be kept on this list.
That way it's easier to follow what's going on in OctaveDE.

BTW I have a couple of comments/questions regarding your 0.2 release:

1) Currently, ./configure doesn't check for the existence of
  xapian and glu/glut. Since these are required for compilation, it
  would be nice of they were checked.

2) Compilation fails for with the following error

  OctaveUI.o: In function `OctaveUI::createOctaveVteDockItem()':
  /home/sh/Dokumenter/octave/octavede-0.2/ui/OctaveUI.cpp:696:
undefined reference to `openpty'

  Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks,
Søren

I intend to make a re-release with (1) and (2) fixed. I am not a autotools wizard, so I never know if my solution is "right" or if it is just a kludge to get it working. (2) is caused by the fact that I need -lutil explicitly for Linux machines. I also need to fix the 'make install' process so that it doesn't have a warning/error at the end of the install process. With this warning/error, the Ubuntu/ Debian packages won't build properly.

John Swensen