Re: improving axes property behavior for the gnuplot backend

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: improving axes property behavior for the gnuplot backend
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:53:57 -0500

On Nov 17, 2008, at 5:01 AM, address@hidden wrote:

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 11:31:21PM -0500, Ben Abbott wrote:

Ok. I was a bit confused by gnuplot's (v 4.3) description of what size
XX,YY did.

----------------------------
set size <XX>, <YY> scales the plot itself relative to the size of the
canvas. Scale values less than 1 will cause the plot to not ???ll the
entire canvas. Scale values larger than 1 will cause only a portion of
the plot to ???t on the canvas. Please be aware that setting scale
values larger than 1 may cause problems on some terminal types.

The major exception to this convention is the PostScript driver, which
by default continues to act as it has in earlier versions. Be warned
that the next version of gnuplot may change the default behaviour of
the PostScript driver as well.
----------------------------

When I tried using it, I found for the x11, aqua, and wxt terminals
that "the plot itself" excluded the ticklabels, axislabels, and title.
I hadn't tried it out postscript, which apparently does something
different (I don't know what), but also appears to be one of the
better implementations.

In any event, when I get to rendering the axes, I'll use gnuplot's
"set margin".

Ok, then this is a change in the behavior of "set size" command with
gnuplot 4.3.. The old behavior was as I described.. So eventually we can use
"set size" as you suggest, but not yet.

While working on this  I found a gnuplot bug.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=102055&aid=2345000&group_id=2055

I haven't looked into the detail, but gnuplot >4.2.4 may not function properly with existing released of Octave. As I'm planning to focus on Octave > 3.1 I thought I'd mention it so that others can be aware and look out for any problems which might arise.

Ben