Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: GUI work (was: Graphical help browser)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 18:11:42 +0100

tir, 25 11 2008 kl. 10:48 -0600, skrev Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> QtOctave already
> has an HTML documentation browser,

But can you use it without using QtOctave? Personally, I would find it
very limiting to be using QtOctave. I should say that developing a HTML
documentation browser is trivial these days, so this really isn't much
work.

>  and I've been spending the past few
> days reading about Qt and ptys and jwe's idea[1] of how to properly
> implement a GUI so that I can try to fix QtOctave's Terminal widget,
> and much of QtOctave, which will probably have to be substantially
> changed in order to properly interact with Octave; I still haven't
> seen how encapsulated is the Octave interaction. I am a bit dismayed
> that there doesn't seem to be a ready-made Qt widget to do what jwe
> suggests, although it clearly can be done in Qt, as KDE applications
> like Kate or Kdevelop embed a console which interacts with ptys. I am
> hoping that I may be able to rip out that KDE code and use it with
> QtOctave instead of the current implementation.

>From what I understand the VTE widget for gtk does what is need, and
that this is what John Swensen is using in his work. The impression I
have is that QtOctave does all the easy stuff well, but fails completely
at all the though problems. On the other hand, John Swensens stuff seem
to handle the hard stuff much better. So if you want to help on an
existing project, I would recommend help out John instead of working on
QtOctave (but that's just my opinion).

Søren