Re: octave presentation, part 2

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: octave presentation, part 2
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:54:59 -0600

2008/11/19 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 19-Nov-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | It is my understanding that Octave is both free software and open
> | source (the development model).
>
> As a part of the GNU project, we should try to avoid the term "open
> source" when referring to Octave.

By the way, there's no need to say "open source", is there? Doesn't
Czech have a word with the same root as "svobodniy" in Russian? The
biggest reason I ever feel a need to say "open source" is that "free
software" involves some preaching that most of my audience would not
understand in the short space that I would have to explain; whereas
almost anyone understands or thinks they understand "open source".
Also people get confused with  the term "free software" because of the
ambiguity in English, but this ambiguity isn't present in other
languages I know of. In Spanish and French, I always use "libre", and
everyone knows what I mean. You could briefly mention the Czech word
as you give your presentation in English, and I'm sure audience
members will understand. Mention it quickly and don't make a fuss
about it, of course.

"Open source" is meant to be a synonym for "free software"; the
development model is supposed to be the same for both terms, because
they're both supposed to mean the exact same thing. It's just a matter
of emphasis and resolving an ambiguity in English.

- Jordi G. H.