Re: improving axes property behavior for the gnuplot backend

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: improving axes property behavior for the gnuplot backend
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 04:21:19 -0500

On Nov 16, 2008, at 4:09 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:
I've just realized that "tightinset" is only readable from the console, and
that the interaction of position/outerpostion/tightinset and their
dependence upon other axes properties is not yet handled any where (that I
can find).

For the gnuplot backend it would be easy enough to handle such relationships
using m-files, but  as this interaction is (and many others are) not
specific to the backend implementation, where should this functionality go?

For the moment, I have a m-file that calculates the tightinset. While I can optionally use that script when get(hax,"tightinset") returns zeros, such an
implementation is not exactly pretty.

I''d think it preferable that a backend agnostic solution for such things be written (another example is the relationship between papertype, papersize,
and paperposition).

In any event, what should be done, and is anyone with the needed skills
interested?

I am interested, but I'm missing time to do it. I just started my new job
and it'll be *very* time-consuming. Sorry.

Michael.

Well congrats on the new job. I'm on vacation for another 3 days and am having fun trying to get as much done with this as possible. So I'll spin an m-file solution and hope someone jumps on this at some point.

Perhaps a reasonable (but temporary) solution is to make "tightinset" writable. Once the low level functionality is in place the offending m- file code will make itself quite obvious and can be patched.

If I submitted a changeset for such, would that be acceptable?

Ben