Re: How to deal with octave HG archive correctly?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: How to deal with octave HG archive correctly?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:49:41 -0500

On 12-Nov-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| Yes, I understood. qimport will do what you need - it is able to put
| an already finished patch batch back under the control of mq.

Ah, that's a nice trick.  I was going to suggest something much more
complicated that would do the same thing.

OK, to summarize, suppose you've just done the

  hg qpop
  hg pull
  hg update
  hg qpush
  ## fix up any conflicts
  hg qrefresh
  hg qfinish   ## or qdelete -r qtip

steps and then when you do

  hg qpush

you notice that it will create new heads because someone else has
pushed some additional changes to the master archive since the last
time you pulled (should have only been a few seconds, so I think this
would not occur often for us, but it is possible).  In that case, you
should do

  hg qimport -r tip

to put your latest changes back on the top of the patch queue, then
you can repeat the steps above starting with "hg qpop" (the qpop step
is needed because doing a qimport on an existing revision leaves the
changeset applied).

I think this method would also useful if you forget the "hg qinit"
step before you start working on a patch, correct?  It should allow
you to put a set of changes that you have committed locally in the
patch queue before you pull and update from the master archive.

Thanks!