Re: JDQR ?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: JDQR ?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:19:29 +0100

Søren Hauberg wrote:
Hi All,
  This mail serves the purpose of show-casing my ignorance.
I'd like to play a bit around with the "Locally Linear Embedding
(LLE)" [1], but that code requires 'eigs'. While I can get 'eigs' (and
already have) on my machine, its license situation is annoying. At the
LLE page, they say

  "Actually, eigs doesn't really work at all for large problems. You
   need to use a more sophisticated solver.
   We have had good results with the JDQR package, from here."

where "here" refers to [2]. So, my question is: does anybody know if the
JDQR could be used to provide an alternative to 'eigs' that we could
use. JDQR doesn't come with any license information, but if it's
suitable for providing 'eigs' than we at least ask the JDQR developers
to relicense under GPL.

Søren

[1] http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~roweis/lle/
[2] http://www.math.uu.nl/people/vorst/JDQR.html

Yes JDQR seems to have the capabilities needed to implement the eigs function. In fact it uses an Arnoldi technique to initialize the problem in any case and then uses a partial Schur decomposition in the iterations rather than continuing with the Arnoldi technique.

The downside is that jdqr is a rather long and messy m-file, with lots of functions for iterative sparse solvers that should be in Octave independently of jdqr itself. You also should try and get a better preconditioner into Octave if you want to go this way. So its not a trivial amount of work.. The code was written in 1998 and doesn't seem to have been changed since and so getting a license change will also be fun.. You'd probably be better trying to get Rice Uni to change the license on ARPACK than jdqr as they seems to be fairly open to the idea, but hesitate due to amount of work implied with their lawyers to do it.

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary