Re: Plotting status in Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Plotting status in Octave
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:55:03 -0400

On 23-Oct-2008, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

| So, uhm... I know talk is cheap without me coding for it, but... why
| fltk?

Because that's what Shai knows.

You code, you get to choose.  You can even write your own replacement
that uses a different widget set.  I think we can have multiple
backends.  Though it might be best to limit the "multiple" part to just
the widget set, and not the entire graphics code.  For example, that's
why we ultimately decided to put the property handling stuff in Octave
itself, so that people wouldn't be reimplemting that with every
graphics backend.  And given how complex it is to manage the
properties, I think that's a really good thing...

| It produces ugly widgets, while Qt produces native-looking
| widgets.

This code is still experimental.  I don't think it is necessarily set
in stone that the final choice will be fltk.

Why not gtk?

Another option might be wxWidgets.