Problem with an oct file that won't load

From: John Swensen
Subject: Problem with an oct file that won't load
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:03:26 -0400

I have a problem where linking GTK libraries into an OCT file prevents it from loading properly in Octave. I am using the latest from HG (as of last night) on OSX 10.5. I do know for a fact that this does work on Ubuntu Linux 8.04.

PROGRAM (testfunc.cc)
---------------
#include <octave/oct.h>

#include<iostream>
using namespace std;

DEFUN_DLD (testfunc, args, , "")
{
  return octave_value();
}

COMPILE COMMANDS
1) mkoctfile -v -o testfunc.oct  testfunc.cc
2) mkoctfile -v -o testfunc.oct `pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0 gtkgl-2.0 gtkmm-2.4` -L`pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0 gtkgl-2.0 gthread-2.0 gtkmm-2.4` testfunc.cc

If I compile using (1), then everything works as expected
If I compile using (2), I get the following error when trying to run the function: error: "couldn't link module /Users/jpswensen/src/ gtkmmhandles/testfunc.oct"

I looked in the sources for liboctave concerning how OSX loads oct files (in oct-shlib.cc), but I don't have enough knowledge about how NSLinkModule works and how to find out a more specific error. As you can see, my DLD function actually has no dependence on GTK so it is somehow just the linking process (I think).

Any suggestions on debugging this problem?

John Swensen