Re: Octave swarm, take3

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave swarm, take3
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:44:40 -0500

2008/10/15 Thomas Weber <address@hidden>:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 04:16:48PM -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>> I hope my hosts aren't brought down by a sudden surge in traffic.
>
> I've mirrored the files at
> http://www.num.uni-sb.de/~weber/octave/

Thanks!

> One question: do the number and size of bubbles have a meaning?

Oh, sorry, I thought you guys knew. Yes. Each bubble is a file being
worked on (or sometimes, a "task", since in the beginning jwe wasn't
too keen on following the Changelog format). What it actually is is a
string in the Changelog between an * and before a whitespace or a
colon. So whenever a coder touches a file, that file swarms around the
coder. The more often a file is worked on, the larger it gets, and
files and coders fade away as the work on them diminishes. For
example, there is a very noticeable explosion of yellow files around
Ben Sapp in 2000. It corresponds to the Changelog entry in the
scripts/ directory for 2000-01-05. Unfortunately, it was just a
trivial change to many scripts and it appears as a lot of work.

The more work a person does, the more central they are. When two
people are working on the same files, they swarm together along with
the files being worked on. A person's colour reflects the files they
have worked on (so for example, Dirk Eddelbeutel has primarily worked
on documentation).

2008/10/15 Soren Hauberg <address@hidden>:
> Freely available? I mean, can this video actually
> be distributed, or is the music under some non-permissive
> license?

Yikes, I was hoping nobody would ask that. :-)

No, the music isn't free. The first one is Bridget in the Basement by
New Year's Resolution, a smallish femrock (I just made that term up)
group from Vancouver, which I met once during a feminist rock music
festival. They were really nice and might let us use the music if we
ask. The second one is by "Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis" by
Ralph Vaughan Williams and possibly out of copyright, although I don't
know who the performers are.

I was hoping that if everyone and their brother just uses music
indiscriminately in YouTube, so could I.

- Jordi G. H.