Re: Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:05:41 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 26-Aug-2008, Levente Torok wrote:

| Perheps because Function cov() works differently on matlab and on
| octave,
In what way?  Has this been discussed before?

| Alois Schloegl and Matthew W. Roberts replaced the octave version with its own version in | the extra/nan-1.0.6 package. | In the installation README file, the authors suggests us to completely overwrite | the original /m/statistics/base/*.m,*.oct files.
| This can be seen as an obstructive and collabortive act on behalf of
octave-forgers.

I think we should discourage people writing packages from replacing
core functions.  But I don't see that we can stop them from doing it.

Perhaps Octave should warn about duplicate functions in the load-path?

jwe

In the case of the NaN toolbox the shadowing makes sense as it allows special treatment of NaN values in basic functions like mean and std as missing data. Though I agree in general shadowing is a bad idea.

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary