octave.3.0.2 package ? / ezplot / pgsql

From: Levente Torok
Subject: octave.3.0.2 package ? / ezplot / pgsql
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:59:35 +0200

Hi All,

Is there any place where can I upload my gutsy versioned octave.3.0.1 package
and/or
compiled 3.0.2 binary in bare format yet.

(Jaroslav, Yes, there is an ubuntu octave package maintainer but he has not
replied for the last 4 days
and it seems clear that ubuntu has no plan to integrate this package into
gutsy.)

Do I see clearly that efforst are spent for interfacing to ezplot, a non-gnu
software?
Is it really what a octave user wants?
I guess this against something inherent to the GNU community.

As I see database support appeared in the new versions.
I use PG myself, but I prefered to have a single line database query over
a complete set of PG functions coming from libpq.
I believe the the primary function of octave softwares is not user interface or
hack around the databases
but to retrieve data (from somewhere), for example from a database.

For my purpose I made a very small wrapper for psql command line tool.
It is not capable to retrieve strings.
In its bare form it would not be able to process date strings but
I made a very small tool in C to convert every field that resembles to date
into unixtimestamps.
( One might can leave out this latest tool out from the game, if SQL selects
are written in way
that it will retreive unix timestamps instead of date format.)
I think it is always preferable to avoing link to libpq in order to remain
versatile as much as possible.
The solution is very fast, since it requires no cycles for reading out the
elements of the retrieved table
(as opposed to octave-db)  but uses the load function instead. (a bit ugly but
fast)
Is there any interest for this single line tool?

Lev

--
Blogger of http://fapuma.blogspot.com