Re: Graphics: Title and label properties

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Graphics: Title and label properties
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:41:08 -0400

On 22-Jul-2008, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 4:32 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > I think we should also leave open the possibility of actually passing
| > the text to TeX (or LaTeX) and getting a (scalable?) graphics object
| > back so that we can fully support TeX (or LaTeX) markup, not just some
| > subset.  It is probably not necessary to do this from the beginning,
| > but we should not make it hard to do later.
|
| Indeed. If anobody wants to consider how to interface with
| TeX/LaTeX, please do so. I personally have no idea how this
| could be done and what "information" could be obtained
| from LaTeX.

I think you could have it return a pdf file containing the label.  One
place to look for ideas about how this could work would be the
preview-latex package for Emacs.  See for example the description here
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/preview-latex.html and the links to
screenshots, particularly this one:
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/img/preview-screenshot.png