Re: imread

From: Thomas Scofield
Subject: Re: imread
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 17:00:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Soren Hauberg wrote:

tir, 01 07 2008 kl. 12:41 -0400, skrev Thomas Scofield:
I have modified imread to use GraphicsMagick libraries in place of
ImageMagick ones.  The version of imread I worked from is the one
in the latest stable(?) release from octave-forge, not the one
in development.  (I'm not yet admitted to the developers list.)

Great to see somebody take on this task :-)
I don't think there has been any changes to imread/write in a while so
it's probably fine to use the version in the latest 'image' package. But
even if you don't have a developers account for Octave Forge, you can do
a check out of the SVN -- you just can't check things in.

So, just how and to whom should I submit the changed files for review
by others?

If you're looking for code reviews, I think it's okay to simply post the
source code on this list. I don't think you're modifying any files in
Octave, so I'm guessing it's okay if you don't send a changeset at first
(when you have the final version ready, a changeset will probably be
required...)

Soren

I'm attaching the changed code as .m (imread.m) and .cc (__magick_read__.cc)
files, which I hope is workable.  The way I compile __magick_read__.cc is
with the command

  mkoctfile __magick_read__.cc `GraphicsMagick++-config --cppflags`
-lGraphicsMagick++ -lGraphicsMagick

which presumes you have the GraphicsMagick libraries in the right places
which, for me, was as specified in the note I sent earlier today starting
this thread.  GraphicsMagick++-config is a script whose purpose I don't
quite understand (it may not be necessary).  On my debian-based machine
it came with GraphicsMagick, and parallels the script Magick++-config that
came with one of the ImageMagick packages.  I include the script in the
mkoctfile command above because in the Makefile for the image-1.0.6 package
the ImageMagick version of the script appears in the same position.

Thomas Scofield