Re: Fonts for the backend

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: Fonts for the backend
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:24:44 +0300

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Thomas Weber
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 25.06.2008, 10:08 +0300 schrieb Shai Ayal:
>> > Is this so much work? I really don't have a clue, but I'd say that the
>> > above fonts are pretty stable, aren't they?
>>
>> As far as I know they are stable, but I since my knowledge is based
>> on octplot which has a pretty small user-base, I'm not sure it applies
>> here
>
> I looked at octplot's fonts and the changes to them some time ago. Most
> upstream changes were in stuff like cyrillic glyphs.
>
>> > [1] Not sure if that actually works that way, but if something like
>> > $./configure --font-path=/usr/share/fonts/truetype
>> > worked, that would be cool.
>>
>> The thing is we need some "Standard" fonts -- serif, sans, mono and
>> symbol and we need to test for their existence in some
>> system-independent way
>
> You shouldn't test. Just depend on the included fonts, but access them
> by one unified directory. Distributors can then switch that directory at
> build time if wished.

John,

If this is acceptable to you, can you please add the fonts? Rather
than including a binary changeset, here, can you just get octplot's
font subdir from sourceforge svn - view it at:
http://octplot.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octplot/trunk/octplot/fonts
and get it using:
svn co https://octplot.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/octplot/runk/octplot/fonts

Shai