debian Octave 3.0 package not contain mkoctfile?

From: Thomas L. Scofield
Subject: debian Octave 3.0 package not contain mkoctfile?
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:50:00 -0400

Yesterday I installed Octave 3.0 using apt-get on a linux box running SiDuX (debian-based linux distribution).  I tried to install the image package from octave-forge, but the pkg command responded that there was no mkoctfile.  There is, as I came to realize, debian packages for many of the octave-forge packages, including one for the image package.  When I installed it via apt-get, it seems to have installed just fine (Octave 3.0 now recognizes that there is an imread function).  I installed some other debian packages such as octave-pkg-dev, but I still do not have mkoctfile in my path.  I believe the Octave 3.0 running on my Mac laptop was installed using fink (which uses .deb packages, too, right?), and I have mkoctfile there.  I'm confused as to why it isn't there on the linux box.

Thomas L. Scofield
Associate Professor
Calvin College