Re: hggroup available in graphics archive

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: hggroup available in graphics archive
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:10:28 -0400

On 29-Apr-2008, Thomas Weber wrote:

| On 29/04/08 11:42 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
| > In the future, maybe we should encourage the use of Mercurial Queues
| > for major development branches like this since I think that would make it
| > simpler to keep the patches you are creating separate, and to still
| > keep up to date with the main development branch.
|
| Having worked recently with MQ, I disagree. The problem with queued
| patches is that you need to version the patches themselves, otherwise
| you loose the ability to actually share them. Also, you get to read
| diffs of diffs, which is an exercise in cognition.

I've been using MQ (in a fairly limited way) to deal with submitted
changesets and I've never needed to look at a diff of a diff.  When
does that come up?

What I'm doing is

  hg qimport some-patch
  hg qpush
  ... edit to fix up any parts that did not apply properly ...
  hg qrefresh
  hg qdelete -r qtip

The last step actually applies the patch and removes it from the
queue, but if I wanted to keep it in the queue so that it could
be applied later, I think I would use "hg qpop" to put it back in the
list of to-be-applied patches (the same place that qimport placed it
originally).

To deal with local changes rather than submitted changesets, I think I
would just need to do

  hg qnew -m "add some feature" name-of-patch-queue-file-for-this-change
  ... edit to make add some feature ...
  hg qrefresh
  hg qpop

The last step here places the new patch in the queue of to-be-applied
patches, same as if

Seems rather convenient to me, and I don't see where the need for
versioning of patches comes in, at least assuming that you intend the
local changes to be keeping up with the development of some other
"master" archive.  Am I missing something?