Re: octave and LLVM google summer of code project

From: Eugene I
Subject: Re: octave and LLVM google summer of code project
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:35:15 -0700 (PDT)

Freemat has LLVM based JIT compiler slanted for the next release. You can
check freemat source tree to see how it is implemented.

The basic approach is to try to compile the AST, if it fails (feature not
implemented or type change) then fall back to interpreting the code. For
vector and matrix operations, we simply call BLAS code (through same
interface that the interpreter uses) under the assumptions that compiled
code won't provide any speed up. The main advantage of JIT compiled code is
for array index operations - you can get fantastic results.

There are a few tricks you one can use with LLVM to avoid writing
pseudo-assembly code by hand. Also, one major gotcha we discovered is that
you can't apply LLVM global optimization steps to dynamically generated code
- the results are amusingly unpredictable.

With a bit of hard work, I think prototype implementation can be done in 10
weeks. Good luck.