Re: octave contributing guidelines

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: octave contributing guidelines
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:01:02 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 10.04.2008, 10:24 +0200 schrieb Jaroslav Hajek:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Thomas Weber
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 10.04.2008, 09:42 +0200 schrieb Jaroslav Hajek:
> >
> > > hi all,
> >  >
> >  > here are the first bits for the new "Contributing guidelines" chapter
> >  > in Octave manual. This is a pre-alpha-zero version,
> >  > so it's probably not worth being applied to public archive - but I
> >  > would like to get comments, suggestions, criticisms etc.
> >  > changeset attached.
> >
> >  Can you publish a repository somewhere[1]? I think sending diffs of
> >  diffs becomes cumbersome.
> >
> >  [1] If you need a hosting place for it, hg.tw-math.de is available.
> >

> OK, can you please tell me how to do it? I suppose I need a username -
> I usually use "highegg".

[posting to the maintainer list, so I can point to it in the future]

1. Which access do you want for pushing?
  a) ssh
  b) https

I prefer[1] to have one method per repository, so if you want other
people to have push rights, please check with them. https might be
easier for firewalls, but I've learned that this can become difficult
with Mercurial if there's a firewall involved.

2. Which repository name do you want? If you plan to use it for future
development, your personal name is probably the easiest choice. If you
only want it for a certain feature, an appropriate name might be better
suited.

[1] Otherwise, there must be some syncing between the https-users and
the system-users, which is cumbersome.

        Thomas