Re: Octave Wiki password request

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Octave Wiki password request
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:40:13 +0100

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 2:16 PM, David Bateman
<address@hidden> wrote:

> John W. Eaton wrote:
>  > On 28-Mar-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>  >
>  > | I'd like to start summarizing "Octave coding standards" (or
>  > | recommendations, guidelines, whatever you like) at the Wiki. Can I
>  > | have a password, please? Or is there a better place?
>  >
>  > How about just writing a chapter for the Octave manual in Texinfo?
>  >
>  > jwe
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  There are already some text related to the these issue in the appendix C
>  of the manual..
>
>  D.

Appendix C says that it "gives advice on making effective use of the
features described in the previous chapters", which more or less seems
so. I.e., general hints.

What I wanted to collect were coding style guidelines that
contributors to Octave should follow, e.g. whitespacing and indenting
of C++ and m-code, discouraged practices (comma operators, many
returns, ...), encouraged practices (Octave typedefs, STL, ...) etc...
Only those who want to contribute something to Octave will want to be
bothered with this info. Thus, I don't think it fits in appendix C
well. Unless you have a better idea, I'll start it as appendix G.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert