Re: problem building octave 3.0 on x86_64

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: problem building octave 3.0 on x86_64
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:26:47 -0500

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Now that gfortran is the default compiler in the compiler collection,
>  the autoconf Fortran compiler detection macro should probably have the
>  list of compilers modified to put gfortran in front of g77, or at
>  least to do that if the selected version of gcc/g++ is newer than 4.?
>  (I'm not sure what ? should be).  Perhaps someone can report this
>  problem to autoconf maintainers, though I'm not sure they will do
>  anything since autoconf treats gfortran as an f95 compiler and g77 as
>  an f77 compiler, and since we are using the f77 check, the autoconf
>  macro will look for f77 compilers before trying f90 or f95 compilers.
>  Should we be checking for f95 compilers instead?

I seem to remember that gcc 4.0.x used to work with g77 (from 3.4.6);
moreover gfortran from 4.0.x would not even compile some of the octave
files... I do not see issues with using configure to check for f95,
though it does look as a dirty hack.

I have an alternative suggestion, for far more distant future though --
may be for the 3.2.x: could we get away with fortran all together?
>From the quick look it seems to me that all the fortran libraries
exists as c libraries in gsl.

>  jwe

Dmitri.