Re: Metis description in wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Metis description in wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 12:41:30 +0100

Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
> In my understanding, the Metis license is not compatible with the GPLv3 so
> that link with metis is not
> allowed.  Is not it write? Is it permmitted for user to build from source.

The GPL is a distribution license, a user can do anything they like with
GPL code as long as they don't share the result with someone else. So
yes a user building from the source can like with METIS, GOTO BLAS,
Intel IPP, and any non GPL compatible library they like. Just don't give
the resulting binary to someone else..

This is one reason why GPLed simulation result is in fact reaaly useful
in a commercial environment as the its usually on the  results that are
shared.

D.