Metis description in wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Metis description in wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:14:43 +0900 (JST)

Hello maintainer of wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac

I found the description in wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac.

+F) Download and install a source-release of the "suitesparse" library. There
is no
suitesparse-library included in MacOSX. The source-version of the latest
release can be downloaded
from Internet at http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse. Edit file
UFconfig/UFconfig.mk
and replace (in about line 76) "-lgoto" with "-lblas". The metis source package
is also needed to
build the "suitesparse" library, it can be downloaded from internet at
http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/views/metis. Unpack, configure, compile and
install this program the
following way

    tar -xzf SuiteSparse.tar.gz
    cd SuiteSparse
    mv metis-X.x.tar.gz . # mv into suitesparse directory
    tar -xzf metis-X.x.tar.gz
    make && make cx
    export LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -lmetis"

In my understanding, the Metis license is not compatible with the GPLv3 so that
link with metis is not
allowed.  Is not it write? Is it permmitted for user to build from source.

Anyway I think that at least the Metis license problem shoul be mentioned.
I recommend to change the descrption for suitesparse libraries without Metis.

To do this,

  CHOLMOD_CONFIG = -DNPARTITION

in "UFconfig.mk" in the UFconfig directry.

This allows suitesparse libraries without Metis.

Regards

Tatsuro

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/