Re: Q: Low hanging fruit?

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Q: Low hanging fruit?
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:31:48 -0400

Ben Abbott wrote:
On Mar 16, 2008, at 4:03 PM, Bill Denney wrote:
Hi Ben,

I have updated the function lists on the wiki. They are now categorized (at least roughly). I may have gotten some wrong, so anyone should feel free to adjust the categorization. Also, please anyone who finds functions that should be added or removed, do so.

http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?MissingMatlabFunctions

Feel free to start working. They are not categorized into "low hanging fruit" and harder tasks, but hopefully, you can find some interesting functions there.
What are your thoughts on maintaining the list of functions?

As functions are submitted to the mail list shall we mark them as so?

As functions are committed to the mercurial archive shall be remove them from the list?

I'm presently occupied with a build problem using the bleeding-edge sources on Mac OSX (with gfortran). However, once I resolve that, or get sufficiently frustrated that I need a break, I'll try some editing, and look for a project.
If you are asking if I will maintain the list, I will try, but my day job can cause stretches where I won't be able to keep up all the time.

In an optimal world (to me), we would maintain the list as so:

* Someone starts working on a function and note that they are working on it.
* When it is submitted to the list, they change the note that they are working on it to a link to the mailing list post where it was submitted. * When it gets committed, it is noted that it will be available in version x.y.z of Octave.
* When that version comes out, it will be removed from the list.

The above is an ideal case. In reality, that is creating a decent amount of work and after thinking about it, it sounds like that would make the page essentially a bug tracking system.

In reality, if any of these steps get done, I'll view it as a plus, and the only really required one to me is step 3-4.

Have a good day,

Bill