Re: copyright question

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: copyright question
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:55:54 -0500

On Feb 29, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Ben Abbott wrote:
On Friday, February 29, 2008, at 11:13AM, "Jonathan Stickel"
<address@hidden> wrote:
I have written some data smoothing code that borrows heavily from
code published as supplemental information in Analytical Chemistry,
an ACS journal.  I would like to submit my code to Octave (as part
of a package in octave-forge).  Here is what the ACS website says
about the copyright:
"Electronic Supporting Information files are available without a subscription to ACS Web Editions. All files are copyrighted by the
American Chemical Society. Files may be downloaded for personal
use; users are not permitted to reproduce, republish, redistribute,
or resell any Supporting Information, either in whole or in part,
in either machine-readable form or any other form. For permission
to reproduce this material, contact the ACS Copyright Office by
e-mail at address@hidden or by fax at 202-776-8112."
I plan to email ACS about this, but is there a suggested way to ask
permission?  My thought is to GPL my code submission and cite the
publication.  Do you think ACS will allow this, or should I ask
for something else?
Thanks, Jonathan
Jonathan,
I'm intrigued.
I occasionally run into claims of copyright issues with regards to
published algorithms. Can you post a reference to the paper in
question, so that I may take a look?
Thanks Ben

Of course. The paper is Anal. Chem.; 2003; 75(14) pp 3631 - 3636. The url for the supporting information (including code) is

http://pubs3.acs.org/acs/journals/supporting_information.page?in_manuscript=ac034173t

I have already emailed the author, and he has given me his personal permission to make a derivative work. This is the nature of science after all!

Jonathan

Jonathan,

There isn't so much code in the reference. Are you looking to "borrow" something as short as the lines below?

        m = numel (y);
        E = speye (m);
        D = diff (E, d);
        W = spdiags (w, 0, m, m);
        C = chol (W + lambda * D′ * D);

Please confirm.

If so, I know of a prior example that may be of relevance.

Beyond the "prior example", I expect you'd like to introduce a specific dependent variable, say "x"? ... rather than relying upon the indices of y?

One last question, is there any license associated with the publication, or is the concern of the copyright?

Ben