Re: Octave and GSOC'2008

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Octave and GSOC'2008
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:45:14 -0500

On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

1) Make a list of suggested projects.
2) Do the paper work to actually apply.

So, it doesn't seem like that much work...

Søren

I have a suggestion for a project idea, based on previous mailing list postings. A while back, Muthiah Annamalai suggested using LLVM to implement JIT for Octave. John Eaton commented how it would be a big project, mostly due to type inferencing. I was wondering if it would be a reasonable as a project for GSOC to integrate LLVM in a very limited sense, i.e. only providing JIT for integer indexed loops. While this may seem like a very limited use of LLVM, it would probably provide key insights into how something like LLVM could be integrated more fully into Octave, and it seems like a project that could be completed in a summer's worth of work.

John Swensen