Re: listing functions in a package

From: c.
Subject: Re: listing functions in a package
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:25:00 +0000

On 18/feb/08, at 13:33, David Bateman wrote:

c. wrote:

Does the attached patch do what you intended?

It fails on the signal package that includes variables in the INDEX file
like

<quote>
$SPCTOOLS= in spline directory of Dennis Brown's <a
href="ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/comp.speech/tools/ spctools">SPCtools</a>
$TFTB= try <a
href="http://www-isis.enst.fr/Applications/tftb/iutsn.univ- nantes.fr/auger/tftb.html">Time-Frequency
Tool box</a>

signal >> Signal processing
Signals
 diric
 gauspuls
</quote>

The function categories are incorrectly probed.. You should scan for
"signal >>" and ignore anything beforehand.. Apart from that it looks good..

D.

David,

Looking at the INDEX for the signal package I also see lines like:

arcov= use <code>ar_covar</code> $SPCTOOLS

I was not aware that such things were possible...
I see this syntax is explained in the comments to main/INDEX while it is not on the octave-forge website (wouldn't it be worth adding at least a reference to this syntax specification on http://octave.sourceforge.net/ developers.html ?).

To handle such lines with variable substitution and markup tags will require a bit more
logic than expected, I'll look into it.
Would a patch that implements just skipping those lines be acceptable for the meantime? After all this syntax is expected to be used for functions that are not implemented in the
package, anyway...

c.

P.S. I see the inline octave documentation (doc pkg) also has a section
describing the syntax of the INDEX file but does not mention variable
substitution or markup language.