Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:59:25 +0100

Michael Goffioul wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM, David Bateman
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I had a quick look and I have some practical questions. Basically my
>> development machine is a laptop and so isn't on line at all times and so
>> I can't easily publish the my hg repository directly from my laptop. I
>> don't beleive I'll be the only one in that situation. I see a few
>> possible solutions
>>
>> 1) You allow "hg push" to the www.octave.org hg repository, though this
>> has some issues with patch reviewing that will probably prevent this. Is
>> there a way to have hg push have separate branches for each user pushing
>> and you choose to merge what you want.
>>
>> 2) Users have their own hg repository on a machine that is "always on"
>> that they can push to and you pull from. This duplication of
>> repositories increases the chances that the repositories are out of
>> sync. Also not all users will have easy access to a machine that is
>> "always on" and has web access for hg to pull from. Where can we host
>> these repositories?
>>
>> 3) The user uses "hg export" and generates a patchset that they send by
>> e-mail. This is not much different from the current situation, but
>> essentially looses out on many of the collaborative development
>> advantages that mercurial promises.
>>

> If possible, I would avoid option 3 (it wouldn't reduce the work load of John
> anyway...). I was wondering if we couldn't use the octave-forge account on
> SF.net to implement option 2. I was thinking about this possibility to host
> a graphics development oriented repository that Shai and I (and other
> people interested) would share.
>
> Michael.

The terms of use of sourceforge would prevent option 2 as we are
supposed to keep the webpages under 100MB of disk space.. We are already
pushing that limit with the current webpages, which the function
references and the doxygen pages. This type of use might even be
implicitly discouraged by sourceforge as they have their own separate
SCM running. Also how do you run "hg serve" on sourceforge, as we can
only upload content and limited cgi scripts?

I have a machine that is "always on" at least nominally (sometime it
gets "accidently" turned off) in a cupboard at home, that I could use
personally and propose for use for a limited number of other users.
However, this machine is on a home adsl line and so this isn't ideal,
and in any case if I'm capable of doing that couldn't we host something
similar on www.octave.org itself or elsewhere?

What I was thinking of doing if it was on my own machine was having
something like

1) Run "hg serve -p 8000" for repo 1 and "hg serve -p 8001" for
repository two etc
2) Have CNAME records in my DNS for hg-perso.dbateman.org and
hg-graphics.dbateman.org for example
3) Use the apache VHOST capabilities to redirect hg-perso to port 8000
and hg-graphics to port 8001.

Maybe I could use the webdir-conf option to have a single hg server
running, but I'm new to this.. As for why to go through the mess of
using Apache/VHOST and DNS/CNAME, well my company believes all http
traffic should go to port 80 or 443 and blocks the other ports. The
above allows me to keep my personal website and have mercurial running
as well all of port 80/443.

However again, this might be done anywhere even on www.octave.org... So
where do we host it?

D.