Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: switching from CVS to Mercurial
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:36:05 +0100

On Wed, Feb 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM, David Bateman
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I had a quick look and I have some practical questions. Basically my
> development machine is a laptop and so isn't on line at all times and so
> I can't easily publish the my hg repository directly from my laptop. I
> don't beleive I'll be the only one in that situation. I see a few
> possible solutions
>
> 1) You allow "hg push" to the www.octave.org hg repository, though this
> has some issues with patch reviewing that will probably prevent this. Is
> there a way to have hg push have separate branches for each user pushing
> and you choose to merge what you want.
>
> 2) Users have their own hg repository on a machine that is "always on"
> that they can push to and you pull from. This duplication of
> repositories increases the chances that the repositories are out of
> sync. Also not all users will have easy access to a machine that is
> "always on" and has web access for hg to pull from. Where can we host
> these repositories?
>
> 3) The user uses "hg export" and generates a patchset that they send by
> e-mail. This is not much different from the current situation, but
> essentially looses out on many of the collaborative development
> advantages that mercurial promises.

If possible, I would avoid option 3 (it wouldn't reduce the work load of John
anyway...). I was wondering if we couldn't use the octave-forge account on
SF.net to implement option 2. I was thinking about this possibility to host
a graphics development oriented repository that Shai and I (and other
people interested) would share.

Michael.