Crash when clearing "ans" variable in symbol table

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Crash when clearing "ans" variable in symbol table
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:19:52 -0500

On 14-Jan-2008, Thomas Kasper wrote:

| Without knowing anything precise, I wonder if the issue could be
| related to the recently merged objects branch? Anyway, if you find
| anything suspicious about my code, please let me know. (I merely hit
| on this by chance when browsing through the mailing list, but I am
| not subscribed.)

Yes, it's definitely a bug in the new symbol table code.

| I can offer to add the dependency octave <= 3.0.0 to the package
| description. However, the minimal requirement being >= 3.0.0 this would
| make for a fairly narrow interval. Did I read somewhere on the list that
| octave was a moving target? Indeed...

The situation is not quite this bad.  First, the problem is a bug that
only appears in the main development trunk of the CVS sources, and
will be fixed before 3.1 is released.  The 3.0 branch in CVS (the one
from which any 3.0.x releases will be made) only contains bug fixes.
We are not merging big changes like the new symbol table code on that
branch.  So I think it is safe for you to keep the >= 3.0.0
dependency.