Re: Octave 3.0.0 available for ftp

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Octave 3.0.0 available for ftp
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:43:13 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 29-Dec-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > Octave 3.0.0 is now available for ftp from ftp.octave.org in the
| > directory /pub/octave:
| | I've downloaded and built the most recent version. Looks good folks. Congrats. | | It seems that the graphics is more responsive now. After a plot parameter is changed, the plot seems to appear more quickly than last time I updated Octave. Anyone aware of a change that would have caused this or is it just my imagination? | | Is "replot" supposed to replot the current graphic? I.e., typing "replot" currently doesn't bring the plot to the top window of the desktop.

Replot is simply

  function replot ()

    if (nargin == 0)
      drawnow ();
    else
      print_usage ();
    endif

  endfunction

If no aspect of the plot has changed, drawnow doesn't do anything.

OK.  The "print" function is now used to send a plot to a file so replotting is not really needed.
It would be nice if "replot" and "figure" raised the current or activated plot, but
that's a personal preference sort of thing I guess.

| For anyone interested, the CVS version of gnuplot now has an X11 feature
where an X window ID can be passed in as a parameter and the plot will appear
in that window.  This might be useful for an X GUI environment to give the
appearance of everything integrated.

I don't follow.  How would this be used?

Not in core Octave.  I don't know the various environment additions to Octave
("GUI" was a poor choice of words), but this would allow placing a plot in an X
window that the environment has created rather placing the plot in its own, separate X
window.  There's a demo in gnuplot's CVS repository.  I've places a screenshot at

http://www.dansebald.com/

under "Gnuplot Stuff", first in the list.

Dan