Re: problems configuring with pcre-4.5 installed

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: problems configuring with pcre-4.5 installed
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:49:15 -0500

On  7-Nov-2007, address@hidden wrote:

| Thanks for the reply and suggestion, John.
|
| But looking into it, I think there are two problems with that approach.
|
| (1) Supplying the values with configure OVERRIDES whatever would be
|     computed -- so supplying CFLAGS causes the normally occuring "-O2
|     -g" to be left out.  And if I use make CFLAGS=-O2 (as I do to avoid
|     -g, which makes things too big for my machine), then I'll lose that
|     override (OK, so I could supply the override in three places).

Sorry, I don't understand the problem.  The default for CFLAGS and
CXXFLAGS is "-g -O2" but that's all.  No other options should be added
to CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS by configure.  Those variables are for user
settings.

| (2) One must supply both CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS on configure, otherwise
|     configure fails to find the header files.

I think you should only have to set CPPFLAGS, so if you need something
else, I think it is a bug.  Are you confusing CPPFLAGS and CXXFLAGS?
CPPFLAGS are the preprocessor flags, so they should appear in the list
of options passed to the C and C++ compilers.

| Also
|
| (3) With regard to gently adding -I/usr/include/pcre to the builds, it
|     wasn't obvious what internal variables to set in configure to
|     augment the include search path -- the desire was to use pcre-config
|     in configure, capture the -I value, and pass that along -- not sure
|     how to pass that along -- feels like it should be "EXTRA_INCFLAGS"
|     or some such.

CPPFLAGS.

| Said another way
|
| (4) I didn't see how Octave's configure script accomodates include
|     subdirectories.  INCFLAGS looks pretty hardwired in Makeconf.in.

You should use CPPFLAGS.  If it doesn't work, then submit a bug
report.