Re: legend and bar?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: legend and bar?
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 11:49:44 -0500

On  5-Nov-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On  5-Nov-2007, David Bateman wrote:
| >
| > | though it probably
| > | makes more sense to just bite the bullet and implement the bar series
| > | objects in a matlab compatible way.
| >
| > Can this wait until after 3.0?
| >
| > jwe
| >

| Sure, the downside is that legends won't work for bar plots.. A quick
| workaround that might have future compatibility problems might be to add
| a "KeyLabel" field to the patch/surface objects and adjust legend.m to
| take these into account. So which of the three solutions do you want
|
| 1) Ignore it
| 2) Add KeyLabel field to patch/surface
| 3) Add BarSeries objects

I think I'd prefer to have 3 eventually, but we have to draw the line
somewhere and release 3.0.  We could go on for years (as we have
already) fixing the N remaining compatibility problems.  There is no
way for 3.0 to be perfect and fix everything, so I guess I'm just
asking whether this is important enough to delay the release by
another month (or more, since if we fix this problem, why not fix
others?).