things for 3.0

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: things for 3.0
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:21:22 -0400

We still have the following items:

  1. Update various README files.

  2. Update installation instructions.

  3. Remove obsolete files (for example, is FLEX.patch still needed?)

  4. Update NEWS file if there are any additional user-visible and
     disruptive changes that we should mention.

Are there any other similar items?

Any bug reports or fixes that I've missed that are essential for 3.0?

I haven't been following the contour discussion closely, so someone
should speak up if any of those changes should go in 3.0.

I'll work on the first three items above and try to make a 2.9.16
snapshot by the middle of next week.  Then unless some major new
problems show up, I think we should be able to release 3.0 by the
beginning of November.

Comments?

Thanks,