Re: modified residues() for matlab compatibility

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: modified residues() for matlab compatibility
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 10:05:36 -0400

On Oct 6, 2007, at 8:56 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On  6-Oct-2007, John W. Eaton wrote:

| We could also use some tests.  Maybe at least a few simple sanity
| checks plus the example (bug?) that prompted these changes?

Now I see that we have the following test in test_poly (now moved to
residue.m):

  %% test/octave.test/poly/residue-1.m
  %!test
  %! b = [1, 1, 1];
  %! a = [1, -5, 8, -4];
  %! [r, p, k, e] = residue (b, a);
  %! assert((abs (r - [-2; 7; 3]) < 1e-6
  %! && abs (p - [2; 2; 1]) < 1e-7
  %! && isempty (k)

But this test is failing because the 4th output "e" is not computed in
your version.  Can we please restore this output?  If it is a
performance problem, then we can compute it only if nargout > 3.

Thanks,

jwe

I'm working on it now. I'll include this with the changes to the doc string