Re: MSVC 2.9.13 and path completion with spaces

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: MSVC 2.9.13 and path completion with spaces
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 20:57:00 +0200

On 10/3/07, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> Currently, bash inserts "\ " when quoting spaces, and we can't use
> that.  I don't have a problem with fixing things so that the user has
> to start a filename with ' or " in order for it to be quoted, with
> Octave/readline inserting the final quote.  Bash will also do this,
> and it also seems to be what Matlab does, at least on Unixy systems.
> Maybe it would also be possible to get Octave/readline to insert the
> leading quote if there is only one completion and the filename has
> spaces.

Just for the record, here's how Windows does filename completion in
the command prompt:

cd C:\Docum<TAB>

  => cd "C:\Documents and Settings"

cd "C:\Documents and Settings"\Mi<TAB>

  => cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Michael"

So it inserts quotes automatically and even move quotes around.
This is handy when dealing with filenames containing spaces. The
only thing I don't like is that it doesn't append the trailing backslash
when the entry is a directory, so I have to type to continue further
into the dir hierarchy.

Michael.