Re: octave packages

From: Orion Poplawski
Subject: Re: octave packages
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:02:53 -0600

Tom Holroyd wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 00:58 +0200, David Bateman wrote:
That is what the "pkg load auto" command that is in a PKG_ADD command
does. The packages flag their default behavior in the description and
those marked "Autoload: yes" are loaded at startup.

I think he meant, when somebody does "apt get octave" or "yum install
octave" does it automatically download a bunch of packages. Right now
packages are outside the scope of such systems. There isn't any "yum
install octave-forge".

Actually, there is an octave-forge package, so you can do "yum install octave-forge". And my concern was that those octave packages (that don't replace or change core octave behavior) should be automatically available to all users.

Going forward we will probably split the octave-forge package into individual packages, but the same idea applies. We might keep an octave-forge meta package around that brings in the other packages as well.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  address@hidden