Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: patch to configure.in & aclocal.m4 for graphics libraries
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:55:24 -0400

On 15-Sep-2007, David Bateman wrote:

| When and by who was such a decision made?

I discussed this with Shai and Alexander Barth.  The discussion
started off of the lists because I was asking them to consider working
together with us to improve the graphics system in Octave rather than
continuing to work on independent (and more or less competing)
projects.  I apologize for not bringing it to the list earlier.

In any case, there is still plenty of time to discuss details,
including whether we should continue with the C++ property database
that is currently in Octave or switch to the Java-based solution that
Michael has.

The current C++ code in Octave exists because the scripting language
solution that I wrote was too slow and much too difficult to
maintain.  At the time I started working on it, I saw it as necessary
for Octave 3.0.

The current graphics code in Octave uses gnuplot to draw the graphs
primarily because that is what we had before, and it is something I'm
familiar with.  Although there are some things I like about gnuplot, I
don't think it is the right thing for us to use as our low-level
graphics library (I think most of us agree on that point by now).

We now have at least a minimal (and I would say reasonably useful) set
of properties implemented, which I think is good enough for Octave
3.0.  If we are going to stick with the C++ property database after
the release is done, then I think the next step should be to switch to
some other rendering software, make it handle the current set of
properties, then add more properties as we need them.  If it would
make more sense to go with another implementation of the property
database, then now is the time to discuss that.