Re: mkoctfile test on 2.9.13 MSVC build

From: Marcel Graf
Subject: Re: mkoctfile test on 2.9.13 MSVC build
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:34:18 +0000 (UTC)

Tatsuro MATSUOKA <tmacchant <at> yahoo.co.jp> writes:

> Hello  Michael Goffioul
>
> I have tested mkoctfile on octave 2.9.13 MSVC build.
> There seems still white space is not allowed for the
> install path if the mkoctfile is used.
>
> octave:2> mkoctfile oregonator99.cc
> 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external
> command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> This message was appeared when octave was installed in
> "c:\program files".
>
> *****************
> Second I have installed the octave to c:\progams\
> I have tested from the prompt:
> The result is :
>
> octave:2> mkoctfile oregonator99.cc
> 'C:\Programs\Octave-2.9.13\bin\mkoctfile-2.9.13"
> "oregonator99.cc' is not recognized as an internal or
> external command,
> operable program or batch file.

I found the same behaviour, but interestingly just running
mkoctfile without further arguments works in both cases!

Turns out that windows strips the first and last
quote (") on the command string (see help on cmd.exe) if
there are more than two quotes in the string (which is the
case as soon as there are additional arguments to mkoctfile.

A quick & dirty fix is just adding additional quotes on
the command string, e.g. inserting

cmd = strcat ("\"", cmd, "\"");

above the line

status = system (cmd);

in mkoctfile.m - I'm sure this will break on linux, OSX, ...