Re: [OctDev] Need for JHandles/Linux tester

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Need for JHandles/Linux tester
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 23:56:22 +0200

Thanks Michael,

meanwhile I was able to compile jhandles but I don't know if the real problem is somewhere else in the java package before (it seems to me...):

If I run the very short example:

  f = java_new('java.awt.Frame')
  f.show(); % this shows the window

and I try to resize the window with my mouse that is displayed then I get the wait-mouse-pointer-icon (the Mac color-wheel) that doesn't disappear anymore (I cannot see this behavior on the Linux box and I also am able to resize the window on my Linux box with the mouse). I'm not able to resize that window with the mouse on Mac but I'm able to resize it with your 'f.setSize' command. If I try to call 'exit' then octave hangs and I can't get out without <ctrl><c> -3times-. If I try to call java_exit before then this function does not terminate - it also hangs. I am sorry to can't help more at the moment, I don't know what's going wrong here.

I've tried to cheat and to install a current CVS snapshot java package on my Debian Lenny Linux box. A Java environment has not been installed and after I did a 'pkg install' in octave the pkg installation did halve of what should be done: the m-files have been installed, everything else (of course because of the missing environment) was not installed. I would have expected that 'pkg install' completely fails and that the *.m files aren't installed if the *.oct file and the octave.jar file cannot be build.

  Thomas