Re: Octave and Single Precision

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Octave and Single Precision
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:51:07 -0400 (EDT)

A recent exchange on the octave help list:

   Hmm, I don't see any problem. I put the following in a file named test.m

   Thank you for your help. I tried many times but the error is still there.

Of course the problem was because they used different versions of the
routine, but they didn't have a way to find out which version they were
using.  This got me thinking about versioning. In RPM/YUM, one of my
favorite things is that you can find out the provenience of everything,
including versions etc:       rpm -qf `which gfortran`

I understand that octave packages will map one-to-one to platform
packages, right? Would it then make sense to have 'pkg info' command
that would list component files and versions and dates?  if so, does
it make sense to rely on the platform packaging system for this info,
or does it have to be separately maintained?