Pluging hooks in the parser?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Pluging hooks in the parser?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:57:17 +0200

Hi,

I wondered how hard it would to have the possibility for external code to
plug some hooks in the tree evaluator, especially for indexed expressions.
What I have in mind is to allow the java-like syntax for creating java objects
or calling static methods, like in:

s = java.lang.String('this is my string');
java.lang.System.out.println("Hello from there!");

In that context, it would be nice to be able to plug a function into the
tree evaluator such that if it encounters an error in an indexed expression
like the above, it passes the "subsref" call (with all the information) to
that function; if the hook cannot handle that syntax, the tree evaluator then
issues the normal error.

Michael.